How High is High?
By Russell D. Longcore
American politicians, constantly jonesin’ for a vote fix to satisfy their addiction for power, promise that what THEY propose will return “high-paying jobs” to America once more. Messrs. Romney and Obama are presently jockeying for position on this very topic. It’s one of the most cynical, dastardly lies they tell to credulous Americans and to each other.
The Free Republic of North America will be the only location on the planet where high-paying jobs will again exist. But it won’t be for the reason most people think. More on that later.
For a quick primer on what a job is, go to It’s Demand, Stupid! and read it.
If you visit DumpDC regularly, you know what a “connotation word” is. I have written about them many times. “High-paying jobs” is a connotation phrase. A connotation phrase is one that carries a subjective cultural or emotional association. An example of a connotation word is “God.” Your emotional or cultural interpretation of that word might be the little statue in the corner that you bow down to, burn candles to, and offer chicken blood on an altar. Another person’s mental picture might be the God painted on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. But I can manipulate you by the use of the word so that you either agree with me or disagree with me. My definition of the word or phrase is probably not the same as yours. A dishonest person used that to his advantage.
So it is with “high-paying jobs.” What does “high” mean? As compared to what? What is the yardstick with which we measure high-ness?
I contend that high-paying jobs are a relic of the American past, never to return to American shores. Let me walk you through my thought process on this issue.
The level of technological manufacturing has never been higher than it is today. A large percentage of that manufacturing is done outside the USA. American manufacturers are getting their products built overseas. But has quality gone to hell?
No. It’s better than ever. But market forces are at work globally…even in a market distorted by the Dollar.
In the free market, competitors will challenge your offering of goods or services in one of three ways:
1. Same product, better price
2. Better product, same price
3. Better product, better price
Where are LOTS of the highest technology products of the planet built? China. China has cornered the market on technological manufacturing. According to Forbes.com, tech workers earn about $1.50 per hour in a company like Foxconn, which manufactures the iPad, the iPod, the iPhone, Kindle, Playstation and Xbox 360. But its 2011 revenue was $102.74 BILLION. And the world snaps up its manufactured products as fast as lightning.
Here are some tidbits of information about your Chinese competition:
1. In China today there are over 320 million people that speak English. That means they are all at least bilingual. It is also a number greater than the entire population of the USA.
2. The US individual savings rate is zero. The Chinese individual savings rate is 34%, and a lot of those savings ARE IN GOLD.
You can tell me about currency manipulation, free trade agreements, tariffs, duties, and lots of other advantages or disadvantages allegedly held by one nation or another. But here is what I observe:
1. A bilingual Chinese worker will be trained to perform very high-tech world-class manufacturing skills…and then perform those skills for about 15% of the wage that American workers expect.
2. The American corporations that manufacture offshore are not subject to the burdensome American regulations (like OSHA and ADA) that they suffer on American soil, are they?
3. Offshore workers are not subject to unemployment insurance, Worker’s Compensation or Obamacare, are they?
4. American corporations can lawfully incorporate in other countries and leave their profits offshore so they are not subject to confiscatory Washington taxation, can’t they?
So just exactly HOW and WHY are American corporations going to bring “high-paying jobs” back to North America? What would be their motivation? All of the reasons they moved operations offshore still exist, and Washington is not going to roll back laws, taxation or regulation to bring those jobs home. Corporations exist to enrich the shareholders, not to perform some social function for “the greater good.”
Now let’s discuss what Washington has done to cheat the entire planet.
The world economy is a balloon inflated by the US Dollar. The tools Washington has used are (1) fiat currency, (2) fractional reserve banking, and (3) inflation caused by issuing trillions of dollars with no underlying value. Because the dollar lost 95% of its value since 1971, wages have been stagnant for over 40 years.
According to InflationData.com, you would need $568.84 in 2012 to have the same buying power that $100 had in 1971, the year in which Richard Nixon closed the gold convertability window for the US Dollar.
So, using the same calculator, a non-union carpenter that earned $10.00 per hour in 1971 would have to earn $56.88 per hour in 2012 just to have the same purchasing power that he had in 1971. Do you know any non-union carpenters that earn $56.88 per hour? Neither do I. And remember…that $56.88 does not reflect any raise in pay due to an increase in productivity. THAT IS JUST TO BREAK EVEN and maintain purchasing power. $56.88 times 2,080 hours (40 hours/wk. x 52 weeks) is $118,310.40. Once again…do you know any non-union carpenters who earn $118K per year? Me neither. I can hire all the carpenters I want today for $25 per hour here in Atlanta.
This calculation is the same for all of us. Inflationdata.com states that the average annual inflation rate since 1914 is 3.24%. That is 98 years, friends. I think it has become a trend by now. And, because of the Quantitative Easings I, II and III, the inflation rate is poised to skyrocket into insolvency. DC has no choice but to either continue printing fiat money and buy Treasury bonds, or allow interest rates to increase, which will drive DC into insolvency. There is no third choice for Washington.
Dear Readers, is there any solution for this problem? Yes there is.
The Free Republic of North America will be able to DOMINATE the global manufacturing marketplace because of:
1. Its metals-backed money. Precious metals money NEVER has inflation. EVER. The free market determines the prices for goods and services based upon metal weights, not fiat currencies. Hard money chases out bad money. FRONA has no central bank, and therefore has no opportunity to steal from the citizens through monetary policy. And by protecting the value of the money by not regulating or monopolizing it, FRONA creates an irresistible draw to businesses. Imagine living in a place where you KNOW your money will have the same value year in and year out.
2. The business of the Free Republic of North America is business. FRONA’s charter commitment to individual liberty and property rights naturally favors transactions between individuals. And businesses are organic extensions of individuals. What is a corporation but individuals investing together seeking a return on their investment? When property rights and contracts are held sacred, and not subject to governmental abrogation, business can thrive.
3. Regulation. FRONA’s Founders were smart enough to write a simple Charter that gives FRONA very limited functions. All else is left up to the citizens of FRONA to figure out on their own in the free market. FRONA will not be weighed down with the American-style regulations that chased business from its own shores. The absence of regulations will be an irresistible magnet to global companies to locate within The Free Republic. And don’t forget that the cost of American regulations is built into every product. But not in FRONA.
4. Taxation. No corporate taxes? No property taxes? No duties or tariffs? No Social Security, Medicare, or income tax withholding? Entire accounting departments that exist in American companies will not exist in FRONA companies. No tax other than the national sales tax could mean lower priced goods and services, or more profit for the business owner. Or both.
High-paying jobs are jobs in which the labor cost of a product or service allows an individual to trade his time for money at a price that may use less of his time and provide more free time for that individual. High-paying jobs are a function of what any goods or services take to produce. High-paying jobs are those in which the workers have a superior level of training and/or experience, and they are able to negotiate more money paid to them per hour of labor. And all that is due to the free market, which decides the price of any goods or services by supply and demand.
In FRONA, people will no longer denominate every transaction in Dollars. They will conduct commerce in WEIGHT AND PURITY. When someone asks your hourly rate, you might reply that you work for one ounce of “999” (99.9% pure) silver per hour. In today’s US Dollar, that would translate to about $34.00 per hour.
So the high-ness of a so-called “high-paying job” will be relative to the monetary unit in which it is measured. Sure, there will be high-paying jobs in FRONA. But not measured in Dollars. And they will exist because FRONA has created THE ONLY free-market environment where they can exist.
If US politicians can get you jobs that pay $56.88 an hour, but that money has only the purchasing power of $10 in 1971, what have they actually done for you? They have stolen your money’s value. And the higher the inflation rate, the more dollars it will take to buy goods and services. So if you earn $500 an hour or $5,000 an hour, you’re a sucker and DC knows it. They count on it.
Secession is the only hope for mankind to enjoy individual liberty and property rights in North America.
DumpDC. Six Letters That Can Change History.
Copyright 2012 Russell D. Longcore. Permission to reprint in whole or in part is gladly given, provided full credit is given.