What the Gold Standard Is

courtesy The Lehrman Institute

The classical gold standard is simple and it works.

It means that the American government defines its currency as a fixed amount of gold of a certain weight and purity. Under a gold standard you could go into the bank and bring in a tenth of an ounce’s value of gold—say $100 under a gold standard—and receive a $100 gold coin. Alternatively, you could bring in that gold coin and either deposit it in your bank or checking account receiving a deposit credit for $100 convertible to an ounce of gold on demand or get $100 in gold certificates (paper money).

History shows decisively that with purely paper money we experience a chronically eroding dollar and lower job creation. The country and the world are less prosperous, recessions are longer and steeper, and the vast majority of families and businesses are much worse off than they are under a classical gold standard. The classical gold standard is not perfect. It is not some romantic utopian notion. It is, as the Institute’s Founder Lewis E. Lehrman notes, the “least imperfect” of monetary systems.

The classical gold standard does not mean that we will be carting around gold pieces in a purse like the nobles of Merrie Old England. We will still carry around currency, use bank accounts, checks, and credit cards. The classical gold standard simply means that you can, for any reason or no reason at all, cause your paper dollars and bank deposits to be exchanged for an equal value of gold dollars. That legal option keeps the currency honest, and valuable, causing no long term inflation or deflation, not least because the government is bound by the same law of convertability.

Many kinds of money have been tried over thousands of years. The classical gold standard — where you can go into a bank and exchange your bank deposit and paper dollars for a specifically defined amount of gold coin, and vice versa, is the one system that has, over time, worked best.

The classical gold standard works.

© 2011 The Lehrman Institute

2 Responses to What the Gold Standard Is

  1. Is that scenario you mentioned above, will you be taking in some nuggets, gold dust or bullion to a Gold Smith/Banker and trading it for a coin that isn’t pure gold but simply represents the $100 worth of gold ?…. or are you talking about trading it for a genuine 99% purity coin actually is valued at $100 that day because it is real gold valued at $100? Will you pay the Gold keeper a fee for this service? Will the goverment set a price that won’t fluctuate?

    How would that work with the price of gold subject to change due to fluctuations?

    Very interesting ideas you’ve presented here….

    Whoever wrote that did have a confusing sentence in the first paragraph about bringing in a 10th of an ounce of gold for a $100 certificate or… … “Alternatively, you could bring in that gold coin and either deposit it in your bank or checking account receiving a deposit credit for $100 convertible to an ounce of gold … ” like in the fractional reserve system where the bank has 10% on hand but then where would the other 90% of gold come from. That sentence must be a typo?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: