The US Federal Government is a cancer that has affected nearly every organ and cell in the body of our nation. Trying to get rid of the cancer may very likely kill the host, just like chemotherapy or radiation do.
There is virtually no possibility of getting the citizens of any state to agree to secede in sufficient numbers that will move the lawmakers of that state to action. The biggest reason is that there are too many citizens of any state that feed at the Federal trough. If those folks saw that secession would mean the end of their jobs, benefits or incomes, they would fight secession with all their energy.
Here is a short list of people who are either Federal employees directly, or whose jobs are directly affected by Federal money:
• State government at every level, from Governor to dogcatcher, that receive and spend Federal money
• Federal bureaucracy personnel: there are tens of thousands of them in Federal offices including managers, IT personnel, secretaries, janitors, security guards, drivers, inspectors, etc.
• IRS personnel
• I.T. personnel
• Accountants: most accountants would not have work to do without the Federal tax code.
• Retirees: anyone who gets a Social Security check or Medicare benefits.
• Pensioners: see retirees. Most get both.
• Medicaid recipients: the poor who get their medical treatment from Uncle Sam.
• Military personnel: active duty would be unemployed. Retirees could lose pensions.
• Tax Attorneys
• Regulatory compliance attorneys
• Bankers: without the Federal Reserve and fractional banking, most people in banking would be out of a job.
• Post office workers: a seceding state would likely privatize this business.
• Law enforcement personnel: lots of Federal agencies have workers with badges and guns.
• College students with Federally backed loans or grants
• Mortgagees with Freddie Mac/Fannie Mae-backed loans
• Hospitals who accept Federal healthcare patients
• Doctors who accept Federal healthcare patients
• Nurses working for those doctors
• Hospital personnel: RNs, techs, orderlies, cafeteria workers, janitors.
• Federal Judges and their staffs
• Grant writers and grant recipients
• Colleges and universities: Huge staffs directly affected by college loans.
• Public schools
• Construction companies building and maintaining Federal structures
• Any company that gets Defense Department contracts of any kind
• Federal politicians and their staffs
• Social Security office workers: secretaries, inspectors, regulators, managers, executives
• Army Corps of Engineers
• Churches and non-profit organizations might lose their tax-exempt status and have to pay taxes.
• Farmers: some get Federal subsidies that would vanish.
• Manufacturers and suppliers of any product or service you can imagine that goes to the Federal government
• Property management companies that lease to Federal agencies
• Welfare office workers
• Media (radio, TV, internet, print media): all get advertising revenue from gov’t.
• And most of the workers above have families that rely on their incomes.
• And most of those workers and their families spend their incomes in businesses that rely on their incomes.
This list could go on and on if I thought about it some more. There are likely some obvious people I’ve omitted. But this list alone should give you a flavor of just how much the Federal government has infected America on every level.
Now…consider this wild card.
The inevitable economic collapse occurs. For some reason, the dollar begins its unavoidable hyperinflation because the worldwide economy collapses. The Dow Jones, Standard & Poors, and the NASDAQ all lose at least 50% of their value. The worldwide bond market collapses, and foreign/institutional boldholders refuse to accept dollars as payment. Banks close all over the USA en masse. Catastrophic layoffs begin at all levels of the economy. Unemployment soars to 40 or 50%.
The Federal Government panics…even more than they are panicking today…and starts laying off Federal workers. Their tax revenue is off by 50%.
OK…got the scenario? Now, at every level of society, from Washington to Walla Walla, every person has been affected by the collapse.
When the people on the list above aren’t getting paid anyway…or are getting paid with dollars that are becoming worthless…and the seriousness of the situation sinks in to their minds and stomachs…secession will finally make sense.
As I’ve said before, the number one job of the secessionist movements today it to educate the populace about the benefits of secession. The number two job of the secessionist movements is to begin to create a stable of the best people to occupy crucial positions in the state so it can secede. The politicians likely won’t help.
Albert Einstein said “We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.” I say that we cannot solve our problems with the same PEOPLE that created them.
The politicians of today must be swept aside to make room for those who will bring the solutions to the table. What of politicians who have a change of heart, and join the movement? My opinion is that they should be “quarantined” and watched closely, and not allowed to participate in the solutions without constant supervision.
The secessionist movements all over the USA must acknowledge the near impossibility of pre-collapse secession, and devote themselves to the post-collapse secession model. Anything else is Tea-Party rah-rah hype just to raise money for their coffers.
Secession is the Hope for Mankind. Who will be first?
DumpDC. Six Letters That Can Change History.
© Copyright 2010, Russell D. Longcore. Permission to reprint in whole or in part is gladly granted, provided full credit is given.